Monday, August 08, 2005

Friggin' cars!!!

I found out recently that I needed a new auxiliary fan for my 1999 Audi A4 1.8T. For all of you who don't know, which is probably all of you besides Max (the other engineer I know), the auxiliary fan is an additional fan that turns on to help cool the engine when you run the AC or the engine gets above a certain temperature. So anyway, I brought it down to the local mechanic only to get a quote of over $1000 ($480 for the part and about $500 something for the "7 or 8 hours" of labor). Lo and behold, I decided against the professional work. Next thing I know I'm getting the part for about $160 on the "Inter-me-net" (as we college edu-ma-cated put it) and putting it in with the help of dear old dad in about 2.5 hours. Damn, we're good!! Ah, but the feel-good-story-of-the-year doesn't end there. Turns out the fan is in and hooked up, but it's not running. So that's where I stand now. I don't even think I need the fan to run for the car to work properly. At this point, it's me against machine and I'll be damned if the machine thinks it's going to win. Well, I'm on my way to "fix" the car. Whether I literally fix it or give it the old college "fix" has yet to be determined, but I'll post again soon with the conclusion to my latest man v. machine struggle.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, I'll take that bet. While Jay may be unable to get the fan in a working condition, ultimately he will "fix" the car one way or another. I've seen Jay "fix" too many things (oven, fire alarm, toaster, Colin) to bet against him.

6:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home